Senior Software EngineerAugust 16, 2019
Are you excited about an opportunity to showcase your skills as a senior software engineer? Are you looking forward to working in an organization that innovates to change lives? Here’s your shot at being a part of something revolutionary!
BRCK is an African team of software developers, engineers and technologists. Our flagship hardware,the BRCK, was designed and prototyped in Nairobi, Kenya. We wanted a connectivity device that fits the infrastructure needs of Africa, where electricity and internet connections are problematic both in urban and rural areas. As we laid out what such a device would look like, we realized that the way the entire world is connecting to the web is changing. The world no longer only gets online via desktops in offices with an ethernet connection. There are multiple devices, and mobile connectivity is crucial. Our mission
is to connect Africa to the internet. We believe the last obstacle to connectivity is affordability and our innovative model makes connectivity free to the end-user.
The Software Engineer reports to the Moja Business GM, under the direction of the CTO. They are responsible for creating corporate customer-facing platforms. The Software Engineer will work closely with the Lead developer under the direction of the Core GM to drive the company’s achievement of its goals.
- Managing the end-to-end life cycle for the production of software and applications.
- Maintaining a strong technical development environment.
- Design overall architecture of the web application.
- Maintain quality and ensure responsiveness of applications.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team to design and launch new features.
- Maintain code integrity and organization.
- Work with graphic designers and converting designs to visual elements.
- Understanding and implementation of security and data protection.
- Formal education is encouraged, but your skills will be judged on their own accord.
- Minimum of 4 years writing commercial quality software for cloud based applications.
- Demonstrated experience developing production software of a high quality and reliability.
- Experience with modern software development techniques for both cloud and mobile applications.
- Agile/SCRUM experience, working in high cadence teams.
Preferred Skills Required
- Proficiency with server side languages such as Python, Ruby, Java.
- Familiarity with Nginx, Postgres and RADIUS stacks
- Familiarity with database technology such as MySQL.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail and a self starter.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Team player
- Strategic thinking with a good understanding and application of commercial principles and view of issues in terms of, risks, markets and added value.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to effectively manage and deliver on multiple deliverables; organize and schedule activities and resources and set up/monitor timescales and plans
- Ability to plan and organize self and work in order to achieve objectives and targets and able to overcome obstacles and move forward
Results and Achievement Oriented: strives to achieve results, enjoys measuring others, being measured, and being judged on performance standards and those of others he/she leads.
Personal Ethics: Proactive, confident, energetic and able to work under pressure with a positive attitude.
Negotiation Skills: Must be a good negotiator, particularly in changing behaviour and work practices but always Win/Win.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills (articulate) coupled with good listening and critical reasoning skills.
Human Resources Management Skills: Leadership Skills, Team Building, Organizational skills and ability to train, develop and mentor staff and lead motivated teams.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with the subject “Senior Software Engineer Application”