We’re a team of software developers, engineers and technologists who are from Africa and live here. We have a long history of building things, such as Ushahidi, Crowdmap and the iHub. Our expertise runs from cloud software to fingerprint scanners for mobile devices to high-level medical device prototyping and manufacturing.
The BRCK was designed and prototyped in Nairobi, Kenya. We wanted a connectivity device that fit our needs, where electricity and internet connections are problematic both in urban and rural areas.
As we laid out what such a device would look like – physically robust, able to connect to multiple networks, a hub for all local devices, enough backup power to survive a blackout – we realized that the way the entire world is connecting to the web is changing. We no longer only get online via desktops in our office with an ethernet connection, we have multiple devices, and mobile connectivity is crucial.
Director of BRCK Cloud
Operations & Supply Chain Lead
Director of Business Operations
Operations & Admin
President, BRCK Moja
Mechanical Design Engineer
Software Development Engineer
Customer Support Specialist
President, BRCK Education
Program Manager, BRCK Education
Special Thanks to:
- Mark @ Sandstorm Kenya ( @SandstormKenya )
- Vito @ Hackers for Charity
- Johnny Long @ Hackers for Charity
- Fady (for being a motorbike champ - Expedition video )
- Taylor Martin ( Helping with the KS video and other stuff )
- Jon Shuler ( Key to getting the BRCK prototypes going )
- Brian Muita @ ex-ushahidi
- Brandon @ Ushahidi
- Silicon Hills ( Theo and Shaikh )
- Pete's Cafe Nairobi ( For the coffee that keeps us going late )
- The WAGs and HABs
- Skyline Design ( Wordpress work )
WHAT'S HAPPENING AT BRCK?
Sign up to receive monthly Responsive Reading highlights